Thursday, November 10, 2011

All About Me!


Lately, I've become fairly vocal in local politics, mostly in newspaper message boards. I seem to be more vocal than my husband.

My husband is a Certified General Accountant specialized in financial controllership, going through a change of career into accounting systems development and security. I'm a life insurance broker who's had enough of personal family tragedy, and so decided on my own changes. At first, I thought I was going to sell stuff but then I became annoyed with local politics, started talking on newspaper message boards and learned a lot about how local and federal politics works. I sort of skipped provincial politics, at least for now.

I've been called uneducated, a corporate shill, a sell-out all because of my views. Perhaps if a little bit is known about us, they wouldn't be so quick to say these things to me.

I'm a part Inuvaluit, part German, all Canadian born in Inuvik, Northwest Territories. My dad moved us to Calgary just before my 11th birthday. He's a blue collar worker and raised my sister and I on his own.  I couldn't go to university for the things I wanted so I found other ways to get the required education.

My husband is part Welsh, part French (continental), all Canadian. He moved to Calgary 12 years ago from Victoria, B.C. He was raised by his mother and grandparents until he ended up on the streets of Vancouver in his late teenage years. He did find the help he needed, finished high school, upgraded his education and is now successful in his field.

While he was in school to get his CGA, we didn't have everything we wanted, we ate white rice and ground pork at times and lived very lightly.

We’re now very comfortable and neither of us look back to when it was hard. We appreciate everything we have and earned every bit of it. We have no reason to feel bad for anything and we'll never feel bad for not giving to someone because we have more than they do. We give to whom and what we believe in. We’re capitalists, it's what we believe in, it's what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment